Women who are pregnant, planning on getting pregnant or have recently given birth are protected against discrimination and wrongful termination by various laws, including the federal Pregnancy Discrimination Act (PDA) and the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA). Despite these protections, however, women still end up being the targets of wrongful termination and pregnancy discrimination year after year in the U.S.
If you have been the target of a wrongful termination due to pregnancy, our Atlanta pregnancy discrimination attorneys can help you secure the justice and compensation you deserve.
In fact, the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) reports that:
- Over the past decade or so, the number of pregnancy discrimination claims it has received has increased significantly, jumping up about 30 percent;
- Many of these new claims involve allegations of wrongful termination.
While wrongful termination and pregnancy discrimination can be upsetting and costly, it’s important for women who are the targets of these adverse employment actions to remember that:
- They are not alone.
- They have rights.
- They can get effective, experienced help defending their rights – and holding their employers accountable for violating these rights – by retaining the trusted Atlanta pregnancy discrimination attorneys at the Law Firm of Barrett & Farahany, LLP, LLP.
Signs of Wrongful Termination Related to Pregnancy Discrimination
You may have been wrongfully fired and the target of pregnancy discrimination if you were:
- Fired after you informed your employer of your pregnancy and/or intentions to take maternity leave
- Fired because your employer was trying to avoid providing you with health care insurance or other benefits after learning of your pregnancy
- Fired after refusing to agree to reduced workloads or refusing to take maternity leave
- Fired after filing a pregnancy discrimination claim against your employer
- “Constructively discharged” as a result of a hostile work environment.
Here, it should be noted that:
- Wrongful termination due to pregnancy discrimination can occur in many other ways than those listed above.
- In some cases, employers may give false reasons for terminating pregnant workers, and getting to the bottom of why these firings really occurred can reveal when women have wrongful termination and pregnancy discrimination claims.
- There are strict time frames for pursuing wrongful termination and pregnancy discrimination claims, so it’s best to act quickly and not put off your claim.
Atlanta Pregnancy Discrimination Attorneys at the Law Firm of Barrett & Farahany, LLP
Have you been fired from a job due to pregnancy or childbirth? If so, the trusted Atlanta pregnancy discrimination attorneys at the Law Firm of Barrett & Farahany, LLP, LLP are here for you, ready to start helping you get on the path to compensation and justice.
At Barrett & Farahany, LLP, our lawyers:
- Believe in helping people and protecting their rights
- Are willing to take the hard road that may be necessary to crafting you the strongest possible case (and to winning your case)
- Are innovative, persistent, and motivated
- Are ready to put their experience, skills and insight to work helping you.