Decades of Experience on Your Side
It is against the law for anyone to be discriminated against because of their sex. If you feel as though your rights have been violated you should consider contacting a sexual discrimination attorney in Atlanta from Barrett & Farahany for legal guidance. All workers are protected from discrimination from recruitment to workplace conditions and terms, to even dismissal.
Direct & Indirect Discrimination
There are two forms of sexual discrimination: direct and indirect. Direct sexual discrimination is when a worker is being treated unfairly because of his or her gender. Indirect sexual discrimination occurs when employers hold assumptions about the capability of an individual completing a task based on their gender.
Sexual discrimination could include:
- Providing different salaries and/or benefits to men and women for the same job
- Assuming women will not be respected by staff if offered a promotion and moved to a senior position
- Not hiring a female because it is believed she will not fit into the traditional male workplace
- Demanding women wear different clothes than the men at work, i.e. skirts
- Not offering or considering a female for a particular role
- Splitting work tasks unevenly based on whether the staff members of men or women
If you believe you have experienced any of the above examples, or something similar, you may want to take your case to court. For more than 15 years, we have strived to help both men and women who have experienced sexual discrimination in the workplace.
How Discrimination Impacts a Workplace
If employees are experiencing sexual discrimination, it could lead to the following issues:
- Higher Employee Turnover: If the workplace is not comfortable and people feel as though it is hostile, they may want to leave that work environment. This can result in having to spend more time training employees and less productivity at work.
- Lost Productivity: If there is drama caused by incidents of sexual discrimination, more time and energy will be placed on fixing the issue instead of what needs to be completed at work.
- Damaged Morale: Working in a hostile environment can lower self-esteem and moral. This could lead to discontent within the workplace among all employees.
What is the Difference Between Sex Discrimination & Sexual Harassment?
Sexual discrimination is when a person and/or group of employees are not treated fairly based on their sex, which creates an environment of inequality between men and women. On the other hand, sexual harassment can come in the form of unwelcome requests, advances, favors, and physical or verbal behavior of a sexual essence that is implicit or explicit. These acts can then interfere with the employee's quality of work or results in an environment that is offensive and hostile.
Let Barrett & Farahany Work for You
You deserve equality, and if you feel as though you are not being treated fairly, you should speak out. At Barrett & Farahany, we will listen to your case and, if you choose to take the company to court, we will work vigorously to help you win.