Sexual Discrimination in the Workplace
As an Atlanta GA sexual harassment attorney can explain, sexual discrimination is the unequal treatment of someone based on his or her gender. It is against the law for anyone to be discriminated against because of their sex. If you feel as though your rights have been violated you should consider contacting a sexual harassment attorney in Atlanta from Barrett & Farahany for legal guidance. All workers are protected from discrimination from recruitment, to workplace conditions and terms, to even dismissal.
Direct and Indirect Discrimination
As an Atlanta GA sexual harassment attorney can explain, there are two forms of sexual discrimination: direct and indirect. Direct sexual discrimination is when a worker is being treated unfairly because of his or her gender. Indirect sexual discrimination occurs when employers hold assumptions about the capability of an individual completing a task based their gender. Sexual discrimination could include:
- Providing different salaries and/or benefits to men and women for the same job.
- Assuming women will not be respected by staff if offered a promotion and moved to a senior position.
- Not hiring a female because it is believed she will not fit into the traditional male workplace.
- Demand women wear different clothes than the men at work, ie. skirts.
- Not offering or considering a female for a particular role.
- Splitting work tasks unevenly based on whether the staff members of men or women.
If you believe you have experienced any of the above examples, or something similar, you may want to take your case to court. For more than 15 years, we have strived in helping both men and women that have felt sexual discrimination in the workplace.
Discrimination Affects in the Workplace
If employees are experiencing sexual discrimination it could lead to the following issues:
- Higher Employee Turnover: If the workplace is not comfortable and people feel as though it is hostile, they may want to leave that work environment. This can result in having to spend more time training employees and less productivity at work.
- Lost Productivity: If there is drama being caused because of sexual discrimination, more time and energy will be placed on fixing the issue, instead of what needs to be completed at work.
- Damage Morale: Working in a hostile environment can lower self-esteem and moral. This could lead to discontent within the workplace among all employees.
If you have been a victim of sexual discrimination there are steps you can take in order to receive justice:
- Speak with company management.
- Make sure the U.S Equal Employment Opportunity Commission is aware of the injustice.
- Hire an Atlanta GA sexual harassment attorney and file a lawsuit.
Your Atlanta GA sexual harassment attorney from our firm will provide legal counsel and develop a strong case that can provide you the justice you deserve.
Call a Sexual Harassment Attorney Atlanta Clients Trust Today
You deserve equality and if you feel as though you are not being treated fairly, you should speak out. At Barrett & Farahany we will listen to your case and if you choose to take the company to court, we will work vigorously to help you win. If you are ready for justice, call an Atlanta GA sexual harassment attorney today at 404-214-0120 for a free consultation.